Sharing the love of God – that simple message sums up the mission of the two church communities who make up the parish Holy Trinity, Bingley with St Wilfrid’s, Gilstead in the Diocese of Bradford. Visitors to our churches will find a loving, caring and welcoming community.
The parish was formed in 1868 – separated from the ancient parish of Bingley - with the building of the old Holy Trinity Church, a large Gothic edifice, designed by the famous Victorian architect Norman Shaw, that dominated the skyline in the south end of Bingley until it was demolished in 1974 because the structure was unsafe.
The much smaller current church was opened the following year on the site of the demolished and serves not just as a place of worship, but a venue for the wider community, notably Trinity All Saints CE Voluntary Aided School, which adjoins the church.
The Church of England presence in the hill top village of Gilstead began with a ‘navvies mission room’ in 1886. This building served workers, who were constructing a Bradford Corporation filtration plant nearby. The ‘navvies’ left when their work was completed, but a new church was needed to meet the growing population and in 1906 the present St Wilfrid’s Church, built in the Gothic style was opened.
Since those days, Gilstead and the neighbouring village of Eldwick have expanded rapidly and both villages are popular residential areas. Behind St Wilfrid’s Church there is a church hall serving not only the church, but also wider community. Originally a First World War Nissan Hut, the hall has been improved considerably over the years and now offers up-to-date facilities for its many users.
| Printable Version|